Friday 3 March 2023

Swansea

We had 3 days in Swansea for a rest and for hubby to go to a board meeting. I climbed hills to see mutton bird nests and went for beach walks. We ate well at Kates Berry Farm and had a really tasty seafood chowder from a little restaurant on the beach. 

Kates Berry Farm

Miggle berry pie ( berry combo)


I found this part of the berry shop really interesting - a mud wall 

Mutton birds nests are burrows in the side of cliffs. I didn’t know this. I thought no way penguins would get up this high. Ha ha!  


Mutton bird nest


Sadly this was the place all 6 children in the “Large” family lost their lives when the ship they were sailing in met a terrible fate at this same cliff just around the corner from their destination. 




When they said the graves were near by I had to have a look - a hard life in the 1800’s

They even had an old style general store named after me. Many of the sea side towns on the east coast are quite small , just a strip along the edge really. The shops they do have are all multipurpose to serve their communities best they can.

My store ha ha !

The  best seafood chowder 

Swansea Museum 














2 comments:

Denice Barker said...

What an adventure you're having! I'm loving being along with you!

kiwikid said...

Lovely looking place Jenny, we will be there next week.